DOI prefix: 10.26683/2304-9359
Dmytro V. Scheglov
Dmytro V. Shchehlov - Doctor of Medical Sciences, Honored Doctor of Ukraine, Director of the State Organisation "Scientific-Practical Centre of Endovascular Neuroradiology NAMS of Ukraine", Head of Non-Governmental Organization “All Ukrainian Association of Endovascular Neuroradiology”.
In 1991 he graduated from Kyiv Medical Institute with specialty “medical practice”, after which he finished the specialization “neurosurgery” in P.L. Shupik Kyiv Medical Academy of Postgraduate Education, than he worked as a neurosurgeon, since 1997 till 2016 he has been working as a head of the department of neurovascular pathology endovascular treatment in the SO «Scientific-Practical Centre of Endovascular Neuroradiology NAMS of Ukraine”. Since 2016 till now – D. Shchehlov is a director of SO «Scientific-Practical Centre of Endovascular Neuroradiology NAMS of Ukraine”.
In 2009, he defended his dissertation "Endovascular treatment of cerebral saccular aneurysms in acute periods after haemorrhage, which are complicated by angiospasm» and received the degree - candidate of medical sciences (PhD). In 2015 he defended his dissertation "Diagnosis and endovascular treatment of cerebral arterial aneurysms» for the degree of Doctor of Medical Sciences.
He is the author of more than 200 scientific publications.
Scientific and practical activity is related to improvement of endovascular neurosurgery in Ukraine:
- Introduction of innovative technology for neurovascular pathology treatment (in 2002, first time in Ukraine, he used detachable coils for saccular cerebral aneurysm
- support the attracting of leading manufacturers of endovascular equipment to Ukraine medical market;
- introducing a new endovascular instruments and treatment methods for neurovascular pathology;
- established an international training centre for interventional neuropathologist’s specialization and skills-improvement in co-operation with the Department of Neurosurgery of P.L. Shupik NMAPE (headed by Professor Polishchuk M.Ye. ). He is a lector and practical mentor in annual neuroendovascular training courses.
- initiator and founder of Non-Governmental Organization “Allukrainian Association of Endovascular Neuroradiology” in 2012.
- initiator and founder of scientific journal "Endovascular neuroradiology" in 2012.
Shchehlov’s surgical experience consist of more than 3000 cases of cerebral aneurysms, cerebral and spinal arteriovenous malformations, carotid - cavernous fistulas, extracranial carotid stenosis, reperfusion operations in the treatment of ischemic lesions in acute period, which is the largest in Ukraine and one of the largest in CIS region.
He is a member of the European Society of Minimally Invasive Neurological Therapy (ESMINT), Mid-Eastern European Neurointerventional Club (MENC), the European Association of Neurosurgical Societies (EANS), the World Federation of Neurosurgical Societies (WFNS).